This notice provides you with details of how we collect and process your personal information and data through your use of our website theropepeople.com, and any information you may provide through our sites, in-store, or by other communication.
By providing us with your data, you warrant to us that you are over 13 years of age.
Who We Are:
At Pirates Cave Ltd t/a The Rope People, we are committed to protecting the privacy of our customers whilst continuing to provide the highest possible quality of service. We are not in the business of selling, renting or trading email addresses or other customer data with other companies and businesses for marketing purposes - we just don't do that.
This policy has been written in accordance with GDPR as of 25th May 2018.
Owner & Data Controller:
You have a right to request a copy of any personal data held by Pirates Cave Limited at any time, in order to check its accuracy. If you wish to do this, please write (explaining that your interest is in personal data maintained by us) to our registered office address.
Changes To This Policy:
Pirates Cave Ltd, t/a The Rope People (theropepeople.com) is the data controller and we are responsible for your personal data (referred to as 'we', 'us', or 'our' in this policy).
Registered Office Address:
6 Kendon Business Park, Maritime Close, Rochester, Kent, ME2 4JF, UK.
Main Telephone Number: 01634 566 412
When we might collect information about you
- When you register for an account on any of our websites.
- When you place an order for products or services via the websites, over the phone, email or in-store.
- When you contact us via our websites, email, social media or telephone
- When you join our loyalty scheme.
- If you hold a credit account in-store (mainly commercial customers).
- When you provide us with your information at Events, such as Boat shows.
- When you enter competitions, promotions or surveys.
- Provide us with Feedback.
- When you visit us in-store we operate CCTV for the security of our colleagues and customers. These systems may therefore record your image during your visit.
- When you telephone us we may record the telephone call.
What information we might collect about you
- Your name, gender, date of birth, billing address, delivery address, details of products purchased, receipts, email address and telephone numbers.
- Details of your previous purchases from us, including the products, quantities and amounts paid.
- Payment details (we do not keep your card numbers, as these are held securely by 3rd party payment providers, PayPal and WorldPay). Further information is available below.
- Images stored on CCTV if visiting us in-store.
- Your social media public profile, if you interact with us through those channels.
- Voice recordings of telephone calls.
Why we collect and use the information about you
Primarily, we use your information to process any orders or returns you make or to respond to queries or requests for quotations etc
With your consent, we will also use your information to email, telephone or text you about other products and services that we believe might be of interest to you. On every communication with you, we will give you the opportunity to opt-out or unsubscribe from that form of communication.
We might use information collected from the website to tailor your repeat visits to the website.
We collect any information we are legally obligated to do and we might also use information from credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies.
We do all this in an effort to maintain the best possible service to you.
Legitimate Interest and Soft Opt-In
Where you have provided us with your information, and received direct marketing from us prior to 25th May 2018, we have a legitimate interest in continuing to market to you about similar products and services which we feel will be of interest to you.
We have only ever collected information from our customers, or those that have shown an interest in our company, products or services. We have never acquired, purchased or traded email addresses or received any other information from 3rd parties
You may have provided us with your details by registering for an account online, purchasing goods or services from us online or in-store, at events, or by signing up to our loyalty scheme etc.
When obtaining your details initially and on all subsequent marketing, you have had the opportunity to opt-out or unsubscribe. Therefore, we consider this to be known as your Soft Opt-In and so will continue to market to you.
If at any time you wish to stop receiving our direct marketing, then you have a right to opt-out or unsubscribe (see more information under "Your rights over your personal data" section).
How we protect your information
We take protecting your information very seriously.
Throughout our website, we operate on HTTPS secure technology. All access to your sensitive data (such as payment information) is encrypted and held by our payment processing providers (PayPal and Worldpay). We do not as a company hold or have access to your payment information. Further information is available below.
If you hold an account on one of our websites, this will be password protected and we do not have access to your password information.
Other information we may hold about you digitally is password protected, or where we might hold your information physical form it is stored in a secure physical environment.
Disclosures of your personal information
So as to maintain the highest level of customer service and to adequately facilitate our business activities and objectives, as well as comply with the law, we may sometimes need to share your personal information with some 3rd parties as detailed below. We will only ever share the minimum amount of information required.
- Service providers who provide IT, EPOS, telecommunication, marketing and system administration services. These are carefully selected and known to us.
- Professional advisors including, lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
- Other companies contained under the same group ownership.
- HM Revenue and Customs, regulators and other authorities based in the United Kingdom and other relevant jurisdictions who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances.
- Trade suppliers or manufacturers where they may ship products to you directly.
- Courier companies who we select to deliver products to you.
- Third parties to whom we sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or assets.
- Suppliers where a product warranty issue requires us to provide them with your details.
- When registering you for product warranties with manufacturers.
How long we will keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
Where your information relates to an order we will keep your data for up to 10 years. Where your information relates to our loyalty scheme we will keep your data for up to 10 years following your logged last activity with the company. When your information doesn't relate to an order or loyalty scheme we will keep that information for up to 7 years.
We will retain some of your information for marketing purposes unless you opt-out or unsubscribe.
Once these times have passed your data will either be deleted or anonymised.
Your rights over your personal data
- Withdraw your consent at any time - if you have provided consent previously, you have the right to withdraw that consent.
- Access to your data - see how to obtain this further in this statement.
- Verify and seek rectification - you have the right to verify the accuracy of your data and ask for it to be corrected.
- Restrict the processing of your data - you have the right, under certain circumstances and unless the law permits us otherwise, to restrict the processing of your data.
- Have your personal data deleted or anonymised, unless the law permits us from doing so.
- Lodge a complaint
Access to your information and correction
To exercise any of the rights listed above, you can write or email us using the following details:
Pirates Cave Ltd (Information Request)
Unit 6 Kendon Business Park
We may make a small charge for this service. We aim to respond within 30 days of receiving your written communication.
How you can remove consent, opt-out or unsubscribe from our direct marketing
The fastest way is as follows
- Emails: every email will contain a link to unsubscribe. This will be permanent and automatically applied
- Text Messages: every message will provide details of how to unsubscribe.
Otherwise you can write to the above address or email [email protected] Although please note, by doing this, there might be a short delay in updating our systems with your request and you may continue to receive marketing until the systems have been updated.
Services provided by Google Analytics enable us to monitor and analyse web traffic and can be used to keep track of User behaviour.
Google Analytics (Google Inc.)
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google Inc. ("Google"). Google utilises the Data collected to track and examine the use of our website, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services.
Google may use the Data collected to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Personal Data collected: Cookies and Usage Data.
Google AdWords conversion tracking (Google Inc.)
Google AdWords conversion tracking is an analytics service provided by Google Inc. that connects data from the Google AdWords advertising network with actions performed on Pirates Cave Chandlery.
Personal Data collected: Cookies and Usage Data.
Payment processing services enable us to process payments by credit card, bank transfer or other means. To ensure greater security, we only share the information necessary to execute the transaction with the financial intermediaries handling the transaction.
Some of these services may also enable the sending of timed messages to the User, such as emails containing invoices or notifications concerning the payment.
By using these payment processing services means we do not have access to, or retain, your card information.
Worldpay (Worldpay Limited)
WorldPay is a payment service provided by WorldPay Limited.
PayPal (PayPal Inc.)
PayPal is a payment service provided by PayPal Inc., which allows Users to make online payments
You can set your web browser to restrict cookies, in full or in part, or to alert you when websites set or access cookies. Cookies are files placed on your computer to collect internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information can then be used to track visitor use of our websites and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
Last Modification of this statement and policy: 21 May 2018
We do have relationships with carefully-selected suppliers who may also set cookies during your visit.
- Google Maps. [Cookie name: NNID PREF]
You can manage these small files and learn more about them from the article, Internet Browser cookies- what they are and how to manage them.
We're giving you this information as part of our initiative to comply with recent legislation, and to make sure we're honest and clear about your privacy when using our website.